Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day 2, the hunger begins

Since I started eating raw foods today, I decided to log my intake and exercise on Nutridiary so I can keep track of my calories, nutrition, weight, and more. It takes some time to set up, but once you've got your basics in there, it's really neat to see the reports and track your goal.

I am proud to say that even though I went to bed late last night, I woke up and did 45 minutes of yoga today. Boy did I need it! The stretching really revealed all the tight areas of my body that need work. I'm sure I'll be hurting tomorrow. The DVD I followed was Denise Austin's "fat-blasting yoga" but I didn't get time to do the last session on abs.  This DVD is a nice cross of aerobic and yoga exercises and really works the muscles us women want to shape most.

Then, I finally got to eat some food! Going with the monofruit meal, I ate 3 bananas. That's all it took to get me full. Sticking to one food actually helps your body learn the signals of when it's full, so when breakfast can be more complex, you're less likely to overeat because of the crave for variety.

Lunch consisted of my favorite—green smoothies. We've actually been sticking to green smoothies for lunch at work for quite some time now, so it wasn't difficult for us. I'll be posting a video of how I make them over the weekend, as I get asked about this all the time. You should see the looks people give you when they see you slurpping down that "green sludge." But honestly, it's a super quick and easy meal to make. I usually add other ingredients, but the detox calls for simply greens and fruit so today I blended some spinach and kale with frozen mangos. It was delicious, refreshing, and satisfying. I do admit though, that because I couldn't add the other things I usually include, I was hungry a couple hours later. No snacking during the week though, so I reminded myself of yesterday and regained focus.

I usually really look forward to a huge salad with all my goodies, but no oils are allowed this week—and that means no avocados, nuts, or seeds (the things that make salads unique), so I was kinda bummed when I had to prepare it. I decided to go with turnip greens for the base and added: green onions, celery, asparagus, tomatoes, and carrots, with a lemon juice and grated ginger dressing. That ginger really gave it a kick and a little too much lemon juice with turnip greens makes for one tart salad.

Hopefully my sprouts will be ready by the next salad. I have a photo of my sprouting jar ready with a zesty sprout mix in the slideshow of this blog if you're curious. Sprouts are wonderful and easy to grow. They are also VERY CHEAP. A $5 bag lasts me a couple months with constant sprouts in the fridge. I would probably spend about $20 in that time if I bought them at the store. I see another video on this topic in the future...

Besides being tired, dealing with cravings, hunger, and a sore neck—it's been a pretty good day 2 of detox. And by the way, I've already lost 4 pounds!

1 comment:

  1. Bea has knocked the green smoothies out of the park. I wholly look forward to lunch. I appreciate the effort she puts into preparing them every morning. They are wonderful, for a variety of reasons:
    1 - They taste great
    2 - Extremely easy to drink in a busy or hectic work day.
    3 - I enjoy all the looks and/or comments from on-lookers, most of who snicker as they cram fried fast food into their mouths.

    Another find post, Bea!

    ReplyDelete